Monday, February 27, 2017

Old Testament Cosmology

I've been working on a project on ancient Near Eastern cosmic geography (which I can't say much about right now), and thought I'd share a diagram I've been working on. (Click to enlarge.) Of course, all of the features in ancient Israelite cosmology also have their counterparts in the texts and drawings of surrounding civilizations so the cited passages are just a small representation of our source material for reconstructing the ancient conception.


4 comments:

  1. Hey, Ben. Very nice. But it would help to make the "circle of the earth" actually look circular rather than, as it appears right now, square!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be also be wonderful. To make the world round I believe has something to do with the fact of the shape our pupils are. If you draw a picture on graph paper inside an outline of a circle and then use a fish eye lens to capture a shot it will appear 3dimensional .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an idea for another representation I'd like to discuss with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Branch from a Wild Olive TreeMay 12, 2017 at 2:33 AM

    Ben, do you agree with this interpretation?
    http://ancient-hebrew.org/m/articles_thejews.html

    ReplyDelete